Tuesday, September 25, 2007

True Nature


When I was on an assignment on campus I stood beneath a pine tree and watched the students and traffic pass by and I looked down and saw this. It was a lunar moth. It was lying amongst the dry fallen pine needles doing what lunar moths do. Being a lunar moth. It was not being anything other than itself. A thought arose concerning my practice. When I sit I am merely sitting. Is that true? Am I truly 'just sitting'? Am I being myself? When I do my tasks at work or eat or hold my friend's hand am I being who I am? Who is this? To be truly us. To act without pretense. Being nothing more than who we are. No effort. Being present without preference. At that moment another delusion was released. My practice was strengthened. I knelt by the moth and I appreciated its true nature.

2 comments:

Christina Hauck said...

Lovely photo, lovely words! Thank you.

Renegade said...

"Being present without preference..."

Is itself not rejecting preference.